Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Fly Agaric mushrooms

 The walk today was through the old woods. We've had warm temps and rain so figured I'd have a good chance of finding mushrooms. Indy and I had fun poking around rotting wood stumps and downed trees. I was working my way back out of the woods when I noticed this tennis ball shape poking out of the detritus. I removed some of the leaves and realized it was an emerging mushroom. A large mushroom, bumpy top, yellow or orange, "blooming" in the Fall - probably a Fly Agaric. I looked around and suddenly saw two more standing together that had fully emerged though they hadn't yet matured. Looked closer and could see all sorts of them popping up around me.

Even found a mature one - flattened into a classic dome shape.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are these mushroons edible? Is there a good place to find this info. Daughter in MD used to have another kind in their front yard. I had a feeling they were edible, but didn't know where to find out. A neighbor in WI gave us a large white puff one. It was good eating with a taste similar to morals in MI. JVM