Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Downy Yellow Violet

The German novelist Friedrich Vischer wrote "die Tücke des Objekts" (the perfidy of inanimate objects). Late Friday afternoon, just before the long Memorial Day weekend, the sewer alarm went off. My sewer system consists of two holding tanks and then a pumping station that sends waste water to a mound where it filters out through sand. The alarm is to warn me if the holding tanks are full beyond normal capacity. When my plumber installed the system, he assured me that even if the alarm goes off, there is still a lot of space in the holding tanks before sewage would back up into the house. However, "a lot of space" is a relative statement and I didn't want to test its limits. Early today, I had the sewer sucked out (indelicately put but accurate) and called my plumber. He quickly found the problem which is easily fixed and I should be good to go again (so to speak).

No comments: