Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Swamp in Spring


Had lots to do today but when I got a call around noon asking if I could fill in at the library from 5-7 tonight, I said sure. Checked in w/ the librarian a few minutes before she left.  Seems the nice weather, the upcoming holiday, and the middle of the week occurring together had kept people away from the library all day and she didn't expect many people that night either.  A few people can in to check in/check out books and a couple of people used the computers.  Then a teenager stopped at the desk and asked for her wallet.  She said it had her license and other stuff in it and someone from the library had called to tell her it was here.  Funny, I thought, that the librarian hadn't told me about it.  Then the girl said that she got the call a few weeks ago and maybe they threw the wallet away?  OK.  I know I listen to Judge Judy way too much but her mantra of "If it doesn't sound logical, it isn't" rang alarm bells in my head.  If you lost important documents and someone said they had found them, wouldn't you pick them up ASAP?  Can't think of a reason the girl would have to lie about it though - could it be that teenagers are just that ditsy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Lots of responsible teens out there, but certainly some ditsy ones too. Sounds like an egregious lack of good judgement on her part.

- Pete

Anonymous said...

Yes, That sounds exactly like something a naive teen would do. Don't ask me how I know.
Rebecca