Monday, April 11, 2011

Pussywillows

A different county in our state “missed” over 10,000 votes which was enough to swing the recent election for state supreme court justice.  Our county's clerk sent an e-mail to all of her municipality clerks to let us know what caused the problem.  A nice touch, I thought, so each of us could consider how to avoid making a similar error.  However, one town clerk responded to the county clerk that this had been an egregious error and she felt the county clerk was too forgiving in her original e-mail.  Unfortunately, the miffed town clerk hit “reply all” instead of “reply” so we all received her rather personal response to our county clerk.  I don't really care about the little cat-fight between the two clerks or even that the vindictive clerk made an error in sending her response.  No.  I was fascinated she used the adjective “egregious”.  It was fun to see a word that I had to check in the dictionary (I knew it once I looked it up - just had no clue that was how it was  spelled.) In this age, where "LOL" and "OMG" were the latest additions to the Oxford dictionary, I sometimes despair of what will become of the art of writing. Plus - now that I know how to spell "egregious", I'll be looking for opportunities to use it.

1 comment:

Jordan Journal said...

Two things: One is that I had to laugh at the word egregious because I had to look it up about two months ago while watching the Food Network's show "Chopped". One of the judges loves that word and it was driving me crazy. The other is that I feel somewhat sorry for the "reply all" gal. Two years ago I hit "reply" instead of "forward" when I was telling Chip that I thought one of Maddie's teachers was a "wacho". Ouch!