Friday, April 23, 2010

Dutchman's Breeches

On the walk last night, Indy came running back to me - her mouth bristling w/ porcupine quills. Once we got home, I used a pliers to pull the "easy" ones. My neighbors, Doug and Wade, came and they were able to get most of the remaining ones out. However, there were still some stuck in her gums that she wouldn't let us get at. So I took her over to the vet this morning. The vet sedated her and started working at getting the rest out. Some quills were completely inside the gum and the vet had to dig to retrieve them. I donate blood and have never had any problems w/ seeing blood. But, as I listened to the vet tug & pull and saw her gloves smeared red, I suddenly felt light-headed and decided sitting down in a chair would be a good idea. Indy will be OK - the vet thought two quills were still deep in her jaw and told me what to expect when they work their way out. All I hope is that Indy has finally learned to stay far away from porcupines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!
Poor Indy...