Thursday, May 24, 2018

Interrupted Fern

Temps in the 80's and it's humid.  Just as I won't turn the heat on in the month of June, I refuse to turn the air-conditioning on in May.  (Of course, we've never needed air-conditioning in May before.)  Indy and I went for a walk late when it was cooler.   We were out by the wild plums when I heard her give a growl.  I turned and there was a big coyote coming out of the trees to meet-and-greet.  Reminded me that the Collegetown news tonight had warned pet owners to keep their dogs on a leash because of coyotes and bear.  Maybe the dogs that look like dust mops would be in danger but Indy was having none of the coyote's nonsense and sent him running w/ a couple of barks.  Kept hearing booms from somewhere to the south.  I timed them and it was one blast every 100 seconds or so.  Called up my neighbor.  Maureen said neighbor Wester had a 'cannon' going off to keep the geese out of his newly planted cornfield.  Wester's place is clear on the other side of the swamp.   Even w/ the trees and bushes leafed out that sound carries far.  At least tomorrow on our early morning walk through the swamp I'll know that we aren't in danger of being shot or blown up.  Sat out on the deck after our walk.  I picked ticks off my clothes while watching the hummingbirds swoop and hover in aerial battles.  I put out five feeders this year hoping that would cut down on the fighting but the little birds are just as territorial.   Always something going on in the countryside.

No comments: