Thursday, March 22, 2018

Blitzen yawning

I sat in the chair, hair slowly dying to a uniform color, as the beautician excitedly explained to me how her broom will stand upright during the full moon.  I was in a sensitive position.  At work it was a rule to never tick off the people who picked up your garbage or the secretaries.  I added to that list anyone w/ access to my bodily orifices (doctor, dentist, hygienist) and the people w/ scissors (beautician).  So how to tell her that she was wrong?  I asked her what was the physics behind this phenomena.  In response she showed me picture after picture on Facebook of brooms standing on end ostensibly during full moon.  OK, empirical evidence is good but needs to be backed up by logic and a mathematical proof.  Otherwise why not believe the earth is flat. an eclipse is caused by a dragon eating the sun, and the mesas in the southwest are the trunks of ancient giant trees.  Plus, while Facebook has it's charms, veracity isn't one of them.  So I told her it wasn't the full moon and likely the brooms would stand upright at anytime.  I could tell she wasn't convinced and I said I would check it out.  I was right.  It's quarter moon and I had no problem standing my Roomba upright (though it did want to roll a bit).

No comments: