Thursday, July 20, 2017

Common St. John's wort

Indy and I went out for a final quick walk just before sunset.  I stopped to sit in my bench at the top of Gorge before continuing on.   Indy suddenly got excited and took off along the path.  I assumed it was deer but didn't see any jumping away (that white tail is pretty distinctive).  Instead I noticed the ears of a black bear in the tall grass near the dam.  Indy was following the trail along the top of the gorge so the bear came the other way along the shore - toward me.  It was a still night so the bear probably couldn't smell me plus it was well below me.    Indy came back and the bear stood up on it's rear legs to evaluate the situation.  Must have decided we weren't much of a threat since it fell back down on all fours and ambled off into the tall grass.  I can't say I was too worried either.  It was a little bear - 250 lbs maybe - and no cubs that I could see.  Indy and I decided to continue on our way down along the dam and back home on the gorge's other side.  Once back home I stood out on the deck when Indy began barking again.  There was the bear cutting through the meadow.  It stood up again for a moment and then walked off toward the woods.  Doubt that it was following us.  Think  we both were just going along the same path.  Only my second bear of the season (which is OK by me).

1 comment:

The Sandbar said...

Please have a big stick and bear spray when you go out!!!!!!!!!!!

cjb