Saturday, July 22, 2017

Blueberry jelly

At the beginning of the summer I challenged a friend that we each do something "new" this summer.  Figured she would have an easy time of it since she and her husband were just about to take off for a vacation out west.  I wasn't sure what I could do that was new so I asked a few people for ideas.  One was for me to stand at the corner in the village and give hugs to people passing by.  Way out of my comfort zone and the thought made me start sweating.  (Of course the village is pretty small and there is the possibility that no one would walk past me for hours.)  Another suggestion was to learn to sew.  Now I do want to learn to sew but that thought also makes me break out in a sweat.  Someone suggested putting up preserves and coincidentally my sister-in-law Donna called to say they had plenty of blueberries to pick.  Brent and Russell did the picking of the berries while I picked up canning supplies this morning.  Looked up how to make blueberry jelly on-line.  Of course, there wasn't just one recipe and there were calculations to be made about amount of sugar vs. pectin vs. juice.  Not to mention that putting the berries through a cheesecloth turned out to be harder than it looks.  Still, hearing those jar lid's seal w/ a pop as I took them out of their final bath was pretty satisfying.  Not the most exciting "new" thing I've ever done but this will be one of my better tasting ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! i have never been brave enough to try this. You will be moving on to rhubarb, grapes, etc. soon.

cjb