Sunday, April 22, 2018

Wild Turkey

Since I've seen tree swallows, bluebirds won't be far behind. I put out 14 of the birdhouses - taking a circuitous path to reach them. The final two were by the gravel pit which means a hike down through a hay field. That's when I noticed  my hiking boots were rubbing my heels sore. After putting the final birdhouses in place I removed my socks and shoes and started for home barefoot. Walking on the bare ground was easy - nothing is growing yet and the stems left over from last year have been worn smooth by the winds and snow cover. Traipsing through running water from the remaining snow pack was cold but walking soon warmed up my feet again. I took a direct path back to the house which meant finally going through the large drift at the head of Gorgeous Gorge. It was only 20 or 30 feet across and going around would take me pretty far out of my way. So I plunged into it. Not a good idea. The snow was soft from the sun and I went in up to my knees w/ every step - had to use my walking stick in order to pull my foot up and out of each hole I made. Couldn't take my time since my feet were freezing. Once through the snow they tingled the rest of the way home. I'm sitting at my computer w/ my feet in a bucket of hot water now. Life is good.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Walking through snow drifts in your bare feet. Kind of the opposite of walking on hot coals without shoes.