Friday, April 13, 2018

Warm but Windy

Worked the afternoon shift at the library.  Thursday is one of the slower days at the library but it seemed busy enough while I was there.  A group was at the back tables putting together crafts - lots of laughing and giggling.  A man and his son were at the table in the young adults section playing one of the library's board games.  People in and out using the computers or copier.  A little guy - maybe 5 -  wanted to check out some picture books but started weeping when his parent said he needed to take them first to me at the front desk.  I try (usually) not to make men cry so I went around the desk, knelt down to his level and asked if I could have the books.  He handed them over and then followed me back.  I was rewarded w/ a smile on his face by the time he left.  An older lady arrived and asked if I could show her where the Inspirational section was.  Walked her over there and got an invitation to her church before I got back to the front desk.  Another lady dropped off books, picked up some new ones, and then stood a spell at my desk just talking.  She asked my name but must not have recognized the surname. "Is that your maiden name?" she asked.  I laughed and said it's who I've always been.  She reached out and laid a hand on my wrist and said "Bless you".  Not sure what that meant but decided being blessed could only be a good thing. (Ha)

No comments: