Friday, January 05, 2018

Chest of Drawers - then and now

 I think I blogged about this before but thought I'd put it out again.   The draw of the picture I found of furniture was the message written on the back: "This chest was made by your Grandfather Henke about 75 years ago.  He made it for Aunt Marie.  We have it in our hall.  She said she gave it to us that it should never leave the family.  It is walnut and ebony with a marble top."  I didn't know who Grandfather Henke was, who Aunt Marie was, nor if the chest was 'still in the family'.  That started me on a little detective hunt for it.  Wayne Schwartz (who I'm related to through my grandmother) put me in touch w/ John Schwartz who I think is my father's first cousin.  The chest of drawers is still indeed in the family and he was kind enough to send me a more recent photo.   My brother-in-law Dan dug around and figured out who Grandfather Henke and Aunt Marie probably were.  Not sure I'm into genealogy (most relations I simply refer to as 'cousin') but I can understand the fun in it.



No comments: