Saturday, December 02, 2017

In the backwoods

It's chili season.  I got the crock-pot out this morning.  Browned some hamburger.  Cut up an onion and a part of a green pepper.  Opened cans of spicy tomatoes, chili beans, diced chilies.  Put it all in the crock-pot along w/ chili powder, cumin, and oregano.  It's my usual recipe - as much as I have a usual recipe.  Varies a bit depending on what I have around the house.  I gave it an hour to work and then, as all of the cooking shows admonish, I tasted it.  OK but had a bit of a bitter aftertaste.  Not being much of a cook I wasn't sure how to remedy that but logically it seemed putting something sweet in should help.  Went through the spice cabinet.  Coriander.  It has a sweet smell and I've seen it in chili recipes before.  Walked over to the candy jar and picked out a milk chocolate Lindt candy.  Why not?  Threw them both into the crock-pot and stirred everything together.  Six hours later I boiled spaghetti.  Ladled the chili over it.  Garnished w/ cheese and sour cream.  Perfect after a walk through the back woods.

2 comments:

Brent said...

Yummy!
Enjoying the sunset pictures

Anonymous said...

I see a lot of chili recipes that have some sugar added to them.

cjb