Saturday, November 18, 2017

Ragnarok rocks

I won a game of 'Words with Friends'!  If you haven't played it -it's a lot like on-line Scrabble.  I eschewed Scrabble in my youth. Truthfully, I just couldn't spell well enough to figure it out.  Through the years though I've gotten better.  Merriam-Webster studies show language cognition peaks when a person  reaches the age range of 60 to 70.  In addition as people go through various stages in life they pick up more areas of knowledge (and more minutia).  My sister put out the word 'LANES'. It reminded me of something -  'TOLANES' from a chemistry book I read.  (It's a hydrocarbon).  One of us put out the word 'CODED'.  What did I do at A.C. Nielsen and Honeywell?  I 'ENCODED'.  Halloween wasn't that long ago.  I like to read Poe's 'The Raven' every year.  "Is there no 'BALM' in Gilead" is one of my favorite lines.  I enjoy mythology so I knew 'LIBER' is one of the Roman equivalencies of the Greek god Dionysus.  I gave it a try and the game took it.  Assume proper names aren't allowed so the word must have another meaning.  What I'm trying to say w/ all of this is: Beware of playing word games with people on Medicare. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And beware of those who do crossword puzzles every day, too!
Online scrabble is great because the system either takes the word, or it doesn't. No squabbling about whether it is "a word or not". No challenges allowed.

cjb