Thursday, November 16, 2017

Deer Snub

I complained on the blog earlier that the town's poll workers were referred to as 'the girls' by a county official.  My niece Becky commented 'Some people just don't get it ... Bless their Heart'.  I felt a little ashamed and told her she had given a much more charitable response than I would have.  Becky explained that wasn't exactly true.  She had lived in Tennessee and  'Bless your heart' is a southern colloquialism for 'You apparently weren't around when God handed out brains'. She informed me that in the mid-Atlantic states the response 'You're so pretty' actually means 'You are so incredibly dumb that your looks are all you have to fall back on.'  So what is the equivalent phrase in the Northwoods?  I asked the Coffee and Conversation group at the library.  Two of them replied 'Uff da' which probably comes close.  Personally I prefer  'That's interesting'.  It translates roughly to 'How fascinating that anyone could say something so stupid.'

No comments: