Saturday, October 14, 2017

Sleeping Mergansers

The walk today started out past Gorgeous Gorge.  Watched these two ducks for awhile.  Couldn't understand why they weren't moving at all and looked like they had short necks.  It wasn't till I downloaded the picture that I saw they were sleeping mergansers - they tuck their head just under their wing.  I suppose they were resting on their migration south.  Then walked down though the field.  My neighbor has a back hoe and is digging around in his field.  Not sure why but Russell thought he might be getting soil to use to reclaim a hill on the far side of the gravel pit.  Jumped down into one of the holes to look for rocks while Indy sniffed around the machinery.  Then we rounded the corn field.  My neighbor allows me to put up two bluebird houses on his property and I wanted to take them home for the season.  One house had abandoned tree swallow eggs.  I'm afraid it wasn't a good year for the tree swallows.  As I said before it might have been too cold during the spring for them to get enough insects.  Indy and I continued on down the far side of the corn field and worked our way back home.  No one would call what we do a 'power walk'.  It's maybe more like a 'play walk.'

No comments: