Thursday, October 12, 2017

Gorgeous Gorge

Good day for outside autumnal chores.  Disconnected about 1/2 of the bluebird houses and brought them back to the house.  Will clean out the PVC pipes and keep them out on the deck until next spring.  The wooden ones I cleaned out in situ and left the door open.  Winter winds will do the rest.  Replaced any burned out solar lights around the deck.  Indy and I walked out toward Gorgeous Gorge tonight just so we could turn around and see how the house looked w/ the solar lights framing the deck.  Grabbed my loppers and went out looking for Buckthorn trees.  It's better a little later on in the season to look for them.  They keep their leaves green after almost every other tree has dropped theirs so they stand out. However, I'd seen a female tree loaded w/ berries on the trail and wanted to get to it before the birds spread the seeds everywhere.  I marked the stump w/ pink tape and went looking for some other Buckthorn I had marked last year.  Was pretty happy to see all of them hadn't come back.  Moved any deck furniture on the southwest side to the southeast side.  Those winter winds that will blow the bird houses clean are strong enough to blow any furniture off the deck on the southwest but will just build up a dune on the southeast.  Started restacking firewood but left some for later.  Would have been a great day but found a tick walking up my neck.  Tick check tonight.

1 comment:

Pete Valesano said...

Good for you re. buckthorn mgmt.! When I helped manage a townhouse complex in Rochester, we attacked buckthorn annually with loppers and chemicals (Garlon, Roundup). After buying my home 15 yrs ago, cleared out buckthorn along back property line. Back neighbor was NOT happy, he liked privacy, took me to court and unsuccessfully sued for $45k by lying that native trees/shrubs were cut. Lot of different people.