Thursday, September 21, 2017

Mountain Ash berries

A good day for doing outdoor kinda stuff.  I picked some tomatoes and peppers growing on the little plants next to the front door.  They are small but perfect sized for an omelet or a salad.  Also harvested the hazelnuts planted near the house.  Any squirrel coming near the house has to get by Indy so I could leave the nuts on the bushes until they ripened.  Trimmed the woodbine out of the lilac bushes.  The woodbine is bright red now so easy to recognize.  Picked some lilac seeds while I was there and put them in my pocket.  Pruned a couple of grape vines.  The didn't produce last year nor this year.  Checked the other grapes - the purple ones are ready to pick but the red ones need just a bit more time for the sugars to develop.  Took down all the hummingbird feeders.  I kept track starting Labor Day.  The hummers stuck around only one week more and took off.  They were here much longer last year.  Wondered if that meant a rough winter was coming but then decided the animals probably weren't much better than weathermen at predictions.  Planted some flower seeds I'd collected in the woods and put another labeled solar light next to them.  Jumped on the mower and mowed the lawn and trails.  Then mowed two new trails through the meadow between the house and the road.  Think I'll use these new paths to plant those lilac seeds I collected today and I'll also plant winterberry and these mountain ash berries.  I've got to get something more than just the tall grasses between the house and that wicked winter north wind.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Whew. Makes me tired reading about all your activity. Do the hazelnuts taste good? Looking forward to your fall pics.