Friday, August 18, 2017

Snake skin

 At 9:30 a.m. Indy and I took off for the swamps.  We started out via the gravel pit.  It had rained most of yesterday and I've learned that the big trucks don't come in the day after a rain so the pit was quiet.   Indy nosed around while I looked for pretty rocks.  My pockets were bulging by the time we started off through the swamp - I'd be carrying those stones for the rest of the trip.  Asters are blooming.  They are the last flowers before fall and frost.  A reminder to finish up all those summer projects (or in some cases get started on them).  Saw quite a few snakes this time out.  They were all tiny garter snakes - not even full grown - though I did find the skin of one of their parents on the trail. Then something bigger crossed the path directly in front of me and I gasped in surprise.  Indy immediately ran back to me ready to defend.  The "much bigger thing" turned out just to be a toad (I startle easily.)  Nice to know that Indy is on her toes.  We must have dawdled more than usual because we didn't get back home until well after 11:00.   The only bad thing about the trip is Indy must have rolled in something along the way.  Whenever she lays down, the kittens run over to smell her.

No comments: