Saturday, June 25, 2016

First flight


 I was already in bed when Indy came in last night and gave me "the look".  "The Look" is her  unwavering stare into my eyes.  Usually means she needs me to open the door so she can go outside and chase an intruder away (deer/turkey/coyote) -or- there is someone at the front door and am I going to come see who it is?  Could mean other things but always means I'm suppose to be doing something.  I got up and checked around, didn't see anything amiss, and went back to bed.  Woke up w/ a start at 4:00 a.m.  Indy was curled up on the bed but Ori wasn't.  Had I left her outside all night and she was coyote fodder now?  Is that what Indy was trying to communicate?  I got up and peered out through the back door.  Indy joined me and then so did the cat.  She'd chosen to sleep on the sofa for awhile.  I went back to bed.  Barely got to sleep when I woke up again.  I'm looking in on Russell & Donna's dog while they take a couple of days off.  Was Indy trying to tell me Chinook had been barking and was in trouble?  Wasn't yet 4:30 a.m. but I and Indy jumped in the car to go check.  Chinook was fine but happy to have a little run after rabbits.  Went back home and got into bed again.  Figured Indy was just trying to tell me "Timmy fell down the well."

When I finally did get up again, I could hear chattering from the nest boxes outside my bedroom window.   The tree swallow parents were coaxing each of their youngsters to fly.  Can't help but smile while you watch them.  One baby had made it to the other nest box and was hanging onto the side.  He stayed put while each of his brothers and sisters took off into the wild blue yonder.  I checked later on in the day.  He was gone so must have gotten up the nerve to finally let go.

No comments: