Saturday, November 07, 2015

Some last autumnal color

Went early to the library sale today. I first look for old science books. Found one from 1915 and another non-science book published in 1888 (bought it because it was in excellent condition.) Then picked up a book for my winter reading and two to supplement a Christmas gift I'm putting together. Looked over the household goods and the baked goods but didn't see anything I wanted. However, when I went to pay for my purchases I noticed yummy looking filled cookies on the shelves behind the Friends of the Library volunteers. I asked if those were for sale. The volunteers informed me the person who had baked them had been told by her husband that she couldn't sell them at the library since they hadn't risen properly. She brought them in only for the volunteers to munch on and they had set them aside for the moment. I asked if I could purchase one container (4 cookies). They said since I'd brought in things for the sale, they'd give them to me free but I wanted to pay something. My book purchases came to a total of $2.00. I handed them a $10.00 and suggested they let the lady know her botched cookies sold for $8.00. The ladies were still laughing at how the baker might take that bit of news as I was walking out the door.

No comments: